I’m planning out a vSAN cluster for my homelab. I’ll most likely use the following specifications:
* vSAN Enterprise 6.7
* 4x Core i3 4th Gen 16GB DDR3 Nodes
* 4x 1TB SATA SSD Capacity Tier
* 4x 128GB NVMe Cache Tier
* 4x 1GBe NICs
Most VMs will run on the nodes themselves, but some will be hosted on other nodes connecting to the vSAN cluster for storage.
To my questions:
* Does this sound reasonable in a homelab setting?
* I haven’t decided on whether to run RAID-1 or RAID-5. Any input on this? Regarding performance and fault tolerance mainly, but other considerations are welcome as well!
* How much of a bottleneck will the 1GBe NICs be?
* Adding 10GBe NICs aren’t an option unfortunately.
* I already have the SATA and NVMe SSDs around. Should I use the SATA SSDs for something else and just go with mechanical drives + NVMe? Will the 1GBe NICs be enough of a bottleneck to warrant this?
* Have I forgotten something?
Thank you so much! I’ve learnt so much from reading this subreddit.
View Reddit by GAGARIN0461 – View Source