We are in the planning phase of upgrading our vCenter environment. Below is the version information:
* **Current version**: 6.5 U2g – Build 13638625
* **Upgrade to version**: 6.7 U3a – Build 14836122
Here is a breakdown of what we have:
* (2) vCenter Servers (*appliance*) – Enhanced Linked Mode
* (1) external Platform Services Controller (*appliance*)
I’ve found a number of articles/blogs that cover upgrading a single vCenter w/ an external Platform Services Controller and converging to a vCenter w/ an embedded Platform Services Controller.
Meanwhile, I haven’t found much documentation tailored to upgrading two (*or multiple*) vCenters (*currently in Enhanced Linked Mode*) with a single external Platform Services Controller and converging both (*or all*) vCenters to an embedded Platform Services Controller (*configured to Embedded Linked Mode*).
Here is my assumption of the process (*of which I’m seeking to have validated and/or corrected*):
1. Upgrade Platform Services Controller
2. Upgrade vCenter #1
3. Upgrade vCenter #2
4. Converge to embedded Platform Service Controller using GUI Converge Tool via vSphere Client (*which appears to have been introduced in vSphere 6.7 U2*)
Step 4 is where I lose site of the rest of the process. Do I use the same GUI tool/process for both vCenters?
FYI – Because we don’t have a test/dev vSphere environment, I typically try to account for upgrades/patches in my home lab. Unfortunately, I don’t have a multi vCenter setup at home to trial this process out.
With that said, any/all advice is requested. Am I on the right path or way off target?
Thanks in advance!!!
View Reddit by DoD-vAdmin – View Source