I need to move VMs from an old 5.5 cluster to an existing 6.5 cluster. I have new shared storage between all hosts and clusters.
All VMs on both clusters are currently on local storage.
The goal is all VMs migrated to the 6.5 cluster and all VMs migrated to the new shared storage.
All vCenter instances have only the essential license level.
My plan is as follows
1. Add a vCenter trial license to the 6.5 cluster.
2. Power down the 5.5 vCenter.
3. Add the 5.5 hosts to the 6.5 vCenter.
4. Apply the trial license to the 5.5 hosts.
5. Storage vMotion the VMs to shared storage.
6. Power down the VMs and remove from inventory.
7. Connect the shared storage to the 6.5 hosts.
8. Add the VMs to inventory on the 6.5 cluster.
9. Rinse and repeat for all hosts until all VMs are on the 6.5 cluster/hosts and on shared storage.
edit: updated formatting.
View Reddit by bigTractor – View Source