Long story short but I accidentally unplugged my two external hard drives from my Mac while running a Windows XP virtual machine (and I also had a Windows 7 VM but that one was off at the time of the problem). Before this happened, the drives worked reliably on my Mac and on my VM and I never had any problem (I use a hub – but see below that’s not the problem).
Now each time I plug them in, they are correctly read by my Mac (and by another PC), but in both VM (even the one that was off at the time) I get an error message stating that the device has malfunctioned and that Windows is unable to connect to it, as in [these](https://communities.vmware.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-2737806-183693/1.jpeg) [pictures](https://communities.vmware.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-2737806-183700/2.jpeg).
I spent about 6 hours trying to fix this problem to no avail; here is my info below:
* MacOS 10.15.4
* VMWare Fusion 11.1.1
* VMware Tools 10.0.12
* I use a powered USB hub with six ports, my guess is that’s why in the screenshot above, we see six ‘unused ports’. BUT my problem persists even without the hub.
* The problem happens with any USB disk or drive, even those which were not plugged at the time of the incident.
* All the USB drives and disks work on the Mac and on other PC flawlessly; so the problem is somewhere in VMWare on my Mac.
* I even fired up a clean VM from a back-up (Windows XP) and the problem persists even with that generic ‘untouched’ VM.
Solutions that did not work (not in order):
* Reinstalling VMWare Fusion
* Formatting one of the drives
* Reinstalling VMWare tools
* Removing USB controller from the VMWare Fusion settings, then reinstalling the USB controller
* Reducing the USB compatibility to USB 1.1, USB 2.0 from the VMWare Fusion settings
* Under System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> General tab, nothing is blocked
* Within Windows XP, deleting the USB driver and rebooting for an automatic reinstall of them
* Within Windows XP, trying to update the USB driver
Short of rebuilding my Mac and two VM from scratch (a very, very painful process to say the least), I am at a loss as what to do to reset the external drive USB controller completely.
View Reddit by XaltotunTheUndead – View Source